giovedì 7 aprile 2016

Insalata di fine inverno con bulgur e limone - End of Winter Salad with Bulgur and Lemon


Bulgur is a legacy from my dearest Lebanese friend Claude, who left for Boston last year.
9 years ago, when we started running Libaliano - Lebanese and Italian cooking courses - in London, I immediately introduced bulgur in my cuisine. Easy to cook and to combine with any pulses and vegetables, bulgur soon became an essential ingredient I always have in my pantry.




Today I felt like having a light lunch after my morning work and before a good walki: I prepared a bulgur salad with vegetables I had in my fridge. No need to do any shopping.


I roughly sliced the leek and the courgettes, as I like to feel their texture.
While the bulgur was boiling in a pan, I sautéed the leek, courgettes and Trevisana salad in a frying pan, one after the other, as they need different cooking times. 
Eventually I combined all the ingredients in a bowl, with lemon zest and juice and a drizzle of oil.

Insalata di fine inverno con bulgur e limone
End of Winter Salad with Bulgur and Lemon


200 g bulgur
1 large leek, trimmed and sliced, green leaves included
2 medium courgettes, trimmed, halved and sliced
350 g Trevisana salad, trimmed, halved, white core removed and shredded
The zest of 1 lemon
The juice of 1 lemon
Sea salt and black pepper
Extra virgin olive oil


Serves 4
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes

  1. Wash the bulgur and drain it. 
  2. In a pan, cover the bulgur with 600 ml of cold water and bring to the boil. Add 1 teaspoons of salt and cook until tender, approx 20 minutes. Drain. 
  3. In a frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil and add the leek with a pinch of salt; sauté for 3 minutes on medium heat. Cover the pan, lower the heat and cook for another 3 minutes. 
  4. Add the courgettes and cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Lower the heat, cover and cook for another 2 minutes. 
  5. Add the Trevisana salad and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. 
  6. Adjust the seasoning and remove from the heat. 
  7. In a serving dish, place the bulgur over the bottom. Stir in the vegetables and toss to combine. 
  8. Dress with 2 tablespoons of oil and the lemon juice. Toss to coat. 
  9. Sprinkle with the lemon zest and serve warm.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento