The cauliflower is one of my favourite winter vegetables. Here I make it into vegan boulettes, which could be served both as a main course or as a side dish.
As for the cooking method, I would suggest baking your cauliflower in order to keep the vegetable dry, crunchy and tasty. It takes around 20 minutes to have it ready.
You blitz your cauliflower in the blender into a coarse mixture, flavouring it with the ingredients you prefer. I added saffron, capers in salt and oregano.
The binder is breadcrumbs. Homemade from stale bread.
I coat them in flour and bake them for 12 minutes in little oil.
Polpette vegane di cavolfiore - Vegan Cauliflower Boulettes
The florets of a large cauliflower
1 tablespoon capers in salt, washed and drained
A good pinch saffron, dissolved in one tablespoon of hot water
1 tablespoon oregano
3 tablespoons homemade breadcrumbs
Flour to coat
Extra virgin olive oil
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
1. Heat the oven to 180 C, with fan.
2. Line a large oven tin with parchment and drizzle with oil.
3. Arrange the florets over the tin, drizzle with extra oil and sprinkle with little salt.
4. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring it once.
5. Place the baked florets into a blender along with saffron, capers and oregano.
6. Transfer the cauliflower mixture into a bowl and stir in the breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper.
7. With your hands, mould the boulettes the size of a golf ball; coat with flour and arrange them on the tin.
8. bake for 10 minutes, turning them once. Serve warm.